Monday, March 8, 2010

My Love of Movies


This is my photo of our local theatre - Cactus Theatre. Closed now for many years. I worked for the owner Marsha Rogers for the four years she owned it. I was in heaven as I could watch all the movies I wanted to and eat pop corn. There is something different between any kind of pop corn and theatre popped corn.
Starting back during the Summer between the 3rd and 4th grade I fell in love with the big screen. My Mom and Dad were working as was my big Sister and my brother was off doing what boys do in the Summer. I was lonely and soon made it a habit to visit my Mom or Dad or both two days a week for the 20 cents it took to watch a movie. The other three days when a new movie would start I visited my big Sister that sold tickets at the theatre to beg a ticket off of her. It didn't matter what the movie was I watched it. There were three theatres in town and I gave them equal time. I knew what day each of them changed their film and I was there first in line. There was the Paramount, Rio and Gaiety movie houses.
The closest theatre to me now is 73 miles one way. We don't go anymore and thank goodness for video rentals, Netflicks and Pay Per View TV.
I miss not seeing the nominated Oscar films before Oscar night. This year I have only seen four of the ten and slept through three of the four. I did not sleep through Inglourious Basterds. I liked the movie and thought the acting was very good.
"Avatar" (20th Century Fox)
A Lightstorm Entertainment Production James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

"The Blind Side" (Warner Bros.)
An Alcon Entertainment Production Nominees to be determined

"An Education" (Sony Pictures Classics)
A Finola Dwyer/Wildgaze Films Production Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers

"Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire" (Lionsgate)
A Lee Daniels Entertainment/Smokewood Entertainment Production Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness, Producers

"A Serious Man" (Focus Features)
A Working Title Films Production Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, Producers

"Up in the Air" (Paramount in association with Cold Spring Pictures and DW Studios)
A Montecito Picture Company Production
are the movies top on my list to see soon as they are out on DVD. I also am looking for ward to seeing Crazy Heart, It's Complicated, The Messenger, The Lovely Bones, ( a great book), Last Song, Princess and the Frog, The Last Station, The Young Victoria, Sherlock Holmes, and The White Ribbon. The R rated ones I will not watch. I hope none of them are but I have come to realize Hollywood likes to make R rated movies for some reason. Oh well that is another blog message some day from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment